Stacy's Weekly Mashup: Free Education Special! LibraVox, Centre, Engrade, ibiblio, NoteMesh, SnapBit...
|Published:||Mar 8, 2007|
Welcome to this weeks special Free Education and Learning Mashup! All of the educational resources listed below are free for you to use and share!
Books and Literature
- Learn Out Loud - Browse over 10,000 educational audio books, MP3 downloads, podcasts, and videos.
- Squashed Writers - All the books you think you ought to have read, in their own words, shortened into half-hour stories
- LibraVox - Free audiobooks from the public domain
- Litsum - Literature study guides include full chapter summaries and analysis, topics for discussion, quotes, style, themes and character analysis
- World eBook Library - Full text search of 75,000+ html eBooks
Homework and Class Management
- Centre - A student management product with features that include student demographic info, scheduling, grade book, attendance, report cards,eligibility, transcripts, and more
- Engrade - a free online gradebook that allows teachers to manage their classes online as well as post grades, assignments, attendance, and upcoming homework online for students and parents to see
- Gradefix - Simply add your homework tasks and Gradefix will work them into your schedule
- HomeworkStation - Teachers can post homework assignments online for free without any programming
- Chalksite - Teachers, students and parents have a central point to access grading, assignments, discussions and messaging
- BBC - Learning - Online learning, support and advice
- CollegeCram - Access online study guides, practice with flashcards, review with quizzes and study sheets
- FlashcardExchange - The world's largest flashcard library
- Free-Ed.net - Courses, tutorials, and skill-building activities for today's most important vocational and academic disciplines
- MIT OpenCourseWare - A free and open educational resource for educators, students, and self-learners around the world
Research and Reference
- NoodleTools - teaches students and supports teachers and librarians throughout the entire research process
- Cooperative Research - allows people to conduct grassroots-level research and investigations on any issue
- Factbites - What do you get if you cross a search engine with an encyclopedia?
- ibiblio - A conservancy of freely available information, including software, music, literature, art, history, science, politics, and cultural studies
- HighBeam Encyclopedia - Search or browse over 57,000 articles from the Columbia Encyclopedia
- ACT Test Prep - Prepare for the ACT with practice questions, tips, and more
- ETS - Information about tests with resources for educators, students and parents
- Number2 - Free SAT, ACT and GRE test prepation and vocabulary builder
- Test Prep Review - A free resource center for test preparation and new exams
- The Princeton Review - Offers test preparation for both the classroom and Internet
Notes and Organization Tools
- NoteMesh - A free service that allows college students in the same classes to share notes with each other
- NoteCentric - Notecentric keeps your notes organized and readily available online
- Stu.dicio.us - A simple and reliable note-taking tool
- SnapBits - Securely store, search, sort and easily retrieve bits of information
- mynoteIT - Organize your school life
Thanks for checking out this special learning edition of the Weekly Mashup! If you're interested in more links to excellent web goodies, news, and pop media, you can find an archive of past articles here. Do you know of a great site that's worth sharing? Do you have any comments or suggestions? Click Discuss this Article below to post your comment in the forums or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Stacy Reed is Tucows' resident software librarian and editor. She has been reviewing PC and mobile software as well as web services for over a decade. Helping developers improve and promote their products is only one of her areas of expertise. Stacy is also an advocate for Open Source, Creative Commons and freeware, taking special interest in educational resources, social media, cloud sharing, and mobile technology.